Subdividing Land

Creating a new parcel requires the services of a Licensed Land Surveyor to survey the lot and to create a plat that can be recorded as a legal document. The minimum size of a new parcel depends on how the property is zoned.

Parcels zoned A-1 Agricultural require a minimum lot size of 3 acres, with exceptions for immediate family members. Acreage requirements for residential land depend on access to public water and/or sewer; the minimum lot size is greater if well and/or septic is required.

For all zoning districts, road frontage requirements must also be met. Please call the Planning office at 434-332-9780 for assistance.