For several years, the Campbell County Board of Supervisors and the Campbell County School Board have been working to implement a plan to make significant improvements to school facilities. With construction of a new Rustburg Middle School completed, the next priority is making improvements to facilities in the Brookville attendance zone. These efforts have resulted in the recent receipt of an unsolicited Public-Private Educational Facilities and Infrastructure Act (PPEA) proposal for the renovation of Brookville High School. The Board agreed at its meeting on March 28, 2023 to accept only the portion of the unsolicited PPEA proposal from English Construction for the renovation of Brookville High School.
The Board of Supervisors has authorized advertisement for competing proposals under the PPEA process. The Board must make a determination that renovating Brookville High School is a qualifying project. In addition, using competitive negotiation as outlined in the PPEA process is likely to be advantageous to the County due to the complexity or priority of need. It is also recommended that the Board authorize County staff familiar with construction to take a leadership role as Project Manager, in close coordination with the Superintendent and his staff.
There are three primary reasons for deciding to use the PPEA Proposal process for renovating Brookville High School. First, it allows close coordination between the School staff and the contractor’s team to prioritize improvements to the existing facility while occupied by students. Second, the process allows the cost, quality, and schedule to be negotiated prior to signing the comprehensive agreement. Third, and possibly the most compelling reason for utilizing the PPEA process for Brookville High School is the amount of time that can be saved between the decision to start the design process and actually beginning construction. Eliminating the procurement of an A&E firm and implementing a condensed design period expedites the start of construction by approximately nine (9) months. By adopting an aggressive timeline through the PPEA process, construction can start in the spring of 2024. A preliminary timeline for the Brookville High School renovation project using an Unsolicited PPEA Proposal (design-build type) process is outlined in the memorandum.
RECOMMENDATION: After receiving answers to any questions to the above proposal, staff recommends the Board adopt the following:
1. Determine that renovating Brookville High School is a qualifying project under the Public Private Educational and Infrastructure Act of 2002, as amended, particularly since it will cost up to $50 million and will be utilized for many years for a specific educational purpose;
2. Determine that using competitive negotiation as outlined in the PPEA process is likely to be advantageous to the County due to the complexity or priority of need. These advantages include planning for construction to start adjacent to and inside of an existing school and continue while students occupy the existing facilities;
3. Determine that using the PPEA process will allow close coordination between parties in negotiating scope, quality, costs, and schedule to save time during the design portion of the project. This will also allow the selection of a contractor with a proven record of success with a project of this type and scope;
4. Approve the Joint Committee to serve as the overarching group responsible for the overall direction of the PPEA selection process, design review, contract negotiations, and construction oversight. Also determine the Schools and County have staff with sufficient qualifications to evaluate the proposals;
5. Approve Clifton Tweedy to serve as project coordinator over the PPEA process and construction Project Manager with close coordination with representatives from the Schools;
6. Request that the School Board appoint an individual to work closely with Mr. Tweedy to coordinate the management activities of the Brookville High School Renovation Project;
7. Authorize staff to begin preliminary work to support the project such as site surveys, detailed hazardous materials inventory, utility and soils investigations. Authorize an appropriation for this preliminary work that will be reimbursed from future loan funds;
8. Authorize the advertising of a public hearing to allow the public to offer comments on the proposed project (possible date - June 20, 2023 work session).