Skip to main content

Zoning, Planning & Subdivisions

The Zoning, Planning and Subdivision Office administers plans and ordinances intended to protect both individual property rights and the public's interest. The office works to promote the health, safety, and general welfare of present and future county residents. It maintains all subdivision and zoning ordinances and handles special use permits, variance, and rezoning requests.

Planning Commission and Board of Supervisors Actions

Upcoming public hearings for the Planning Commission, Board of Supervisors, and Board of Zoning Appeals can be seen by visiting the
Public Hearing webpage.  

General Information

Board of Supervisors meetings/agendas     TOP

Regularly scheduled meetings of the Board of Supervisors will be held on the first Tuesday of each month with the Board addressing administrative items, as needed, from 4:00 p.m. until 6:00 p.m.  The Board will then recess from 6:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m., reconvening at 7:00 p.m. to address any unfinished matters and /or condcut any scheduled public hearings. The Board of Supervisors Room is located on the basement level of the Haberer Building, 47 Courthouse Lane, Rustburg, VA 24588.

When needed the Board of Supervisors will hold a work session on the third Tuesday of each month at 4:00 p.m. or other designated hour in the Board Multi-Use Room, located on the basement level of the Haberer Building.

All meetings are open to the public. Any citizen may request time on the agenda by contacting the Clerk of the Board at (434) 332-9525. Such requests must be made two weeks prior to a meeting.

For specific meeting dates or the matters open for discussion, please review the County Calendar or the Public Hearing webpage

Complaints     TOP

The Zoning office investigates certain complaints while other issues may be handled by other departments.
It is best to call the responsible office directly to file a complaint or to get information.

Common issues that Campbell County does NOT regulate unless hazardous, a public safety issue, or a nuisance:

  • Unsightly conditions
  • High grass

Typical Complaint Issues and the Responsible Departments:


  • Inoperable or 'junk' cars
  • Hazardous conditions
  • Noise or odor
  • General public safety or nuisances


  • More than five (5) 'junk' cars that cannot be economically restored
  • Manufactured home used as storage
  • Multiple manufactured homes on a lot
  • Non-conforming use of a structure or land

Building Inspections

  • If you rent and have a complaint about conditions of your residence.
  • A building or structure is being built, or has been built, without a permit.

Campbell County has no maintenance regulations for buildings in poor condition or utilities that do not work; in other words, we cannot force homeowners to fix their houses. However, renters have rights to a safe and functioning living environment, and if a renter complains about these issues we will investigate.  

Erosion & Sediment Control

  • An area 10,000 square feet or more that has been disturbed without a permit (excluding logging or agricultural)
  • Anytime sediment from cleared land is not being contained (excluding logging or agricultural)

Health Department

  • Well and septic issues

  Fences     TOP

“What are the regulations regarding fencing?”  By their very nature, fences normally encroach into the setback area. The County therefore does not regulate them. It is up to you where to put it, what it looks like, and which way it faces.

“How close to the property line can I install a fence?”  It is suggested that your fence be installed some measurable distance on your side of the property line. Placing it exactly on the property line, or on the neighbor’s side, is not recommended.

 “Is a building permit required?”  The current (2012) building code does not require a building permit for most typical fences. If you want an atypical fence, please contact the Zoning Administrator and/or the Building Official.

Home-based business     TOP

Running a business out of a residence requires a zoning permit. You must either be the owner of the property or include written approval from the owner. Please review the Home Occupation form. If you meet the criteria, fill out the form and bring it or mail it to the Zoning office for a permit. The permit is required to obtain a business license from the Commissioner of Revenue. Businesses in commercial or industrial zones have a different set of requirements.

 PEC (Project Evaluation Committee) meetings     TOP

Site plans for certain developments, which because of size, phasing, or other complexities necessitate more intensive review, shall be reviewed by the PEC. The meeting is intended to evaluate a project as a whole and to identify issues that may be important; it is not for detailed review. You are encouraged to apply early in the process, as the results of the meeting can have significant impacts on Site, Grading, and Construction plans.

A PEC meeting with the project representative is required for the following types of projects: 

  • Commercial or industrial construction greater than 5,000 square feet
  • Multi-family development of greater than 30 units
  • New Planned Unit Development (PUD)
  • New shopping center
  • New industrial park
  • Subdivision greater than 30 lots and/or any that require new road construction*
  • New manufactured home park*
  • New telecommunications tower and antennae*

* The Zoning Administrator may waive the requirement of a PEC meeting on these projects,
and additions to existing projects, when there are no significant issues to discuss.

The Campbell County PEC consists of the following: 

  • Community Development Director
  • Public Works Director
  • Zoning Administrator
  • Environmental Manager
  • Building Official
  • Fire Marshal
  • Campbell County Utilities & Service Authority (CCUSA)
  • VDOT
  • AEP

The Zoning Administrator is the contact person for the PEC and will coordinate the meeting and disseminate information submitted.

Applications for PEC review may be made at any time to the Zoning Administrator. Once all items are received the Zoning Administrator will schedule a PEC meeting to occur, usually, 10 to 14 days after the date of submission. For projects that require a public hearing with the Planning Commission, the PEC meeting shall occur no less than three (3) weeks before the information packets are to be mailed to Planning Commissioners. Packets are mailed at least 10 days prior to the monthly meeting date.

Application Requirements

  1. Site Plan (PDF file plus five (5) full sets of paper plans)
  2. $100 review fee, check made payable to Treasurer, Campbell County
  3. PEC Application

Planning Commission Meetings/Agendas     TOP

Meetings of the Planning Commission are generally held on the fourth Monday of each month at 7:00 p.m. in the Board Room, located on the basement level of the Haberer Building in Rustburg (47 Courthouse Road). For specific meeting dates or the matters open for discussion, please review the County Calendar or the Public Hearing webpage.  For more information, please contact the Planner at (434) 332-9780 or find the latest meeting minutes.

Plats / Record a Plat     TOP

All new plats, including resurveys, subdivisions, lot line vacations, deeds of vacation, and easements, must be reviewed by a Planning or Zoning official before they are recorded at the County Clerk’s office. Resurveys, lot line vacations, boundary adjustments, single-lot divisions, and most easement plats require a review fee of $25. Review fees for multiple-lot subdivision plats are $50 plus $10 for each lot.

Private roads     TOP

Campbell County does not maintain roads. Private roads and roads dedicated to the County are the responsibility of the owners of the land that are serviced by the roads. State maintained roads are managed by the Virginia Department of Transportation (VDOT). To become state maintained, a road is first required to meet VDOT design standards that may require costly improvements. If you are interested in having your road accepted into the state system, please refer to VDOT's Getting Roads Accepted into the Secondary System of State Highways.

Setbacks - Property setbacks     TOP

A Setback is a distance from a property line, inside of which you cannot build or place structures. In most cases, especially in residential and agricultural zones, structures such as houses, decks, sheds, and swimming pools must be placed a certain distance from the property boundary. When applying for a permit, you will have to provide the distances from the property line for any new structures. Setbacks vary depending on the zoning of the property and the project.
Call the Zoning office for setback information or refer to the Campbell County Zoning Ordinances.

Setbacks and Property Lines - YOU are responsible for meeting setback requirements.  Please use this information sheet to help you understand what property boundaries are, how to find them, and how to determine which is the front lot line.

Site Plans     TOP

Site plans must be prepared by a Virginia-licensed Architect, Professional Engineer, Certified Landscape Architect, or Land Surveyor and are required for the following developments: 

  1. All business and industrial facilities including offstreet parking;
  2. All institutional facilities such as schools, hospitals, and clubs;
  3. All residential developments involving more than four (4) dwelling units in one building or on one lot;
  4. All residential developments in A-1 districts involving more than two (2) dwelling units in one building or on one lot; the site plan shall show that the arrangement of such additional dwellings are in such a manner that if the lot or parcel of land is ever divided, no substandard lots or non-conforming buildings are created; 
  5. Manufactured home parks;
  6. Conditional zoning, rezoning applications, or special use permit applications.

Each Site Plan shall include or identify as a minimum:

  1. Lot dimensions with property line monuments;
  2. Location and size of existing and proposed structures;
  3. Easements (public and private);
  4. Water courses;
  5. Fences;
  6. Roads or street names;
  7. Road rights of way;
  8. Owners of record of all abutting property affected by the proposed development;
  9. Location of all utilities and connections thereto;
  10. Drainage districts;
  11. Any grave, object or structure marking a place of burial; and
  12. When the land involved lies wholly or partly within an area subject to the joint control of more than one political subdivision, the site plan shall be submitted to the local commission or other designated agent of the political subdivision in which the tract of land is located.
  13. When the land involved lies wholly or partly within a zoning district subject to landscaping requirements imposed under this chapter, the area to be landscaped shall be clearly marked on the site plan and shall include a detailed list of the materials to be used, plant species and height or size at time of planting.
  14. When the land involved lies wholly or partly within a zoning district subject to sidewalk requirements imposed under this chapter, such proposed sidewalks shall be clearly marked on the site plan, such plan being approved by VDOT and Campbell County as evidenced by the appropriate signatures. The Zoning Administrator may waive this requirement after consultation with VDOT, for areas where sidewalks do not presently exist, and are not likely to be constructed.
  15. When any part of the land proposed for subdivision lies in a mapped dam break inundation zone such fact shall be set forth on the site plan.

Subdivisions - Acreage requirements for subdividing land     TOP

This depends on how your property is zoned. Parcels zoned A-1 Agricultural require a minimum lot size of three (3) acres, with some exceptions for immediate family members. Acreage requirements for residential land depend on access to public water and/or sewer; the minimum lot size is greater if well and/or septic is required. For all zoning districts, road frontage requirements must also be met. Please call the Planning office (434-332-9780) for assistance.

Trees     TOP

The County does not regulate trees, including those that are located on one property but naturally extend into another property. Issues concerning a tree's location, tree trimming or removal, root problems, branches, etc. are matters of personal property to be resolved between residents or landowners. If a problem cannot be resolved, retaining a private attorney may be required.

Zoning - Find a property's zoning     TOP

Call the our office at (434) 592-9597 or 9596, or see our online GIS map of the county.   

  Open the LAYERS tab and highlight the Zoning layer (as shown)

You do not need to check the box unless you want the layer to be visible.


Click the Identify button and click on the parcel.

The parcel's zoning will show on the left.


Zoning - Permits     TOP

A Zoning permit is needed in most instances where something is being added on a property. This includes the primary structure, additions to the primary structure, and accessory structures such as garages, sheds, carports, and swimming pools. For commercial properties, it also includes parking and landscaping. Zoning permits are usually required in conjunction with building permits, but are also needed in some cases where no building is taking place (such as for signs, for an Occupany permit, or a Home Occupation permit).

Zoning - Rezoning     TOP

All zoning changes must go through public hearings with the Planning Commission and with the Board of Supervisors. The application fee for the process is $300. Please review the complete Rezoning Process for more information.

Rezoning, Special Use permit, or Plat Approval - Required infomation     TOP

    (open this information as a PDF)


    New Commercial Construction (less than 5,000 sf)

    1. 22 site plans
    2. Narrative
    3. Proffers – if applicable (signed by current property owner)
    4. Letter of Consent (if not property owner)
    5. $300 fee

    New Commercial Construction (5,000 sf or greater)

    1. 42 site plans (22 packets + 20 for PEC)
    2. Narrative
    3. Proffers – if applicable (signed by current property owner)
    4. Letter of Consent (if not property owner)
    5. PEC Application
    6. $400 fee ($300 rezoning + $100 for PEC)


    Residential Subdivision (3 – 30 lots)

    1. 26 plats (22 packets + 4 Approval Agents)
    2. Narrative
    3. Proffers – if applicable (signed by current property owner)
    4. Letter of Consent (if not property owner)
    5. $300 fee 

     Residential Subdivision (31 lots or more)

    1. 46 plats (22 packets + 20 for PEC + 4 approval Agents)
    2. Narrative
    3. Proffers – if applicable (signed by current property owner)
    4. Letter of Consent (if not property owner)
    5. $400 fee ($300 rezoning + 100 PEC)
    6. PEC Application

    Residential Subdivision (Single Lot Division)

    1. 22 plats
    2. Narrative
    3. Letter of Consent (if not property owner)
    4. $300 fee


    Residential Subdivision (3 – 30 lots)

    1. 18 plats 

     Residential Subdivision (31 lots or more)

    1. 38 plats
    2. PEC Application
    3. $100 fee

Variances     TOP

The Zoning Administrator is authorized to grant a modification of the physical requirements on a lot or parcel of land, including but not limited to the size, height, and location (which includes setbacks) of a building or structure if the Administrator finds in writing that:

  1. the strict application of the ordinance would produce undue hardship;
  2. such hardship is not shared generally by other properties in the same zoning district and the same vicinity; and
  3. the authorization of the modification will not be of substantial detriment to the adjacent property and the character of the zoning district will not be changed.

These modifications are rarely granted, the most common situation being a lot that is smaller than the setback requirements. 

A true variance, or an appeal, must be approved by the Board of Zoning Appeals.

If you have a situation that qualifies for a modification or a variance, contact the Zoning Administrator for more information.

Vehicles, junk     TOP

'Junk' vehicles are formally known as 'inoperable motor vehicles,' which means any motor vehicle, trailer, or semitrailer that is not in operating condition OR on which there are displayed neither valid license plates nor a valid inspection decal. It is unlawful to have ANY inoperable vehicle in ANY zoning district unless it is in an enclosed structure or otherwise screened from view from anywhere outside of the property. Licensed and legal junkyard/auto graveyard dealers are exempt.

More than five (5) inoperable vehicles are considered an Automobile Graveyard. You must have a license, issued by the Commissioner of Revenue, to operate or maintain an automobile graveyard or junkyard. It is only allowed in Industrial and Agricultural zoning districts and a Special Use Permit is also required. Automobile graveyards or junkyards should be screened by natural objects, walls, or fences of a minimum height of eight (8) feet.