At its Sept. 6 meeting, the Campbell County Board of Supervisors presented a letter of gratitude to the Campbell County Training School Committee for its plans to restore the historic Rosenwald School properties in Rustburg.
The letter noted that the county and the committee “share a mutual aim of preserving and honoring Campbell County’s rich and diverse heritage, as well as a desire to build upon partnerships that promote community service, cultural awareness, and educational opportunities for all generations.”
On March 1, the Board of Supervisors voted to declare the property, located at 1470 Village Highway in Rustburg, surplus, and to deed the property to the committee to restore it and eventually house a variety of educational programs and provide community meeting space.
The Campbell County Training School Committee is a group of volunteer citizens which organized to preserve the Rosenwald School, which was known in Campbell County as the Campbell County Training School or “the school on the hill.” Millicent Nash is the committee chair.
Julius Rosenwald, a Jewish philanthropist and part owner of Sears and Roebuck, helped to finance many southern schools for African Americans in the early 1900s. Local citizens paid a portion of the building funds.
In Campbell County, Gabe Hunt and the Rev. T.W. Tweedy, who were African Americans, mortgaged their homes for $500 to help build the Campbell County Training School. It offered the first post-sixth grade education for black students in Campbell County. The curriculum was designed by Booker T. Washington and focused on trades for men and women.
For more information about the project, contact Millicent Nash at 434-258-4319 or firstname.lastname@example.org.