The following information has been provided by Campbell County Public Safety Director Tracy Fairchild:
- Timberlake Road from Laxton Road (Lowe’s) to Waterlick Road remains closed until further notice. Officials are working as quickly as possible to clear that corridor; however, ensuring responders’ and residents’ safety in those areas is the first priority.
- There were no transportable injuries reported in Campbell County during this weather event.
- The Timberlake Road area sustained the majority of damage in the locality. Approximately 15 to 20 commercial buildings are reported as damaged. County officials are still in the field assessing the impact to residential areas. There are 3 known residential structures with damage, but this number may increase as their assessments continue.
- The power company is currently working to run new lines to restore power in the affected area.
- There was no serious structural damage reported to Campbell school buildings; however, there will be some needed roofing repairs and repairs to athletic field structures (dugouts, etc.).
Support for Local Business Owners:
The Lynchburg Regional Business Alliance has opened
their doors to provide business assistance to storm-impacted businesses.
Currently, the Alliance has two businesses utilizing space. If any business is
in need of business support, office space or resources, please call the Alliance
at (434) 845-5966. Membership is not required.
- Please use caution if removing any yard debris generated by the storm. Visit http://www.campbellcountyva.gov/230/Debris-Disposal for tips on how and where to dispose of these materials safely.
- Please only call 911 if you have an emergency.
- If experiencing power outages –
- Remember to turn off electronic equipment and unplug appliances to minimize the risk of surges. Use surge protectors on appliances that cannot be disconnected.
- Assume all downed power lines are live; keep a safe distance and contact your local power company.
- Dispose of out-of-temperature food items in heavy-duty garbage bags, washing/sanitizing your hands after contact.
- Be aware that traffic lights may not be functional; stop at all intersections using the same traffic rules that you would at a stop sign.
Visit http://va-campbellcounty.civicplus.com/252/Severe-Weather-Tornadoes for personal safety practices following a severe weather event.