The Campbell County Department of Public Safety has a new emergency alert system and wants all Campbell County residents and businesses, including those in the towns of Altavista and Brookneal, to register for these alerts.
Public Safety will be able to send automated emergency alerts to landline phones, cell phones by calls or texts, and by email.
Important Registration Information
- Landlines: Local alerts, such as those about boil water advisories and hazardous materials incidents, will be sent to landline phones automatically. But emergency notifications from federal agencies such as the National Weather Service will be sent only to residents and businesses who have registered with CodeRED. Also, by registering you can confirm that your landline information provided by the phone company is correct.
- Cell phones, texts, emails, and unlisted landlines: You must register if you would like to receive emergency alerts of any kind by cell phone, text, email, or phone calls to unlisted landline phone numbers.
- Therefore, all residents and businesses are being asked to register.
Instructions on Registering for CodeRED
- To register online, go to www.campbellcountyva.gov and click on the CodeRED icon on the home page. Once on the CodeRED registration page, you can enter your contact information and select the types of alerts you’d like to receive. There is no direct charge to you for this service.
- Please note: If you live in Campbell County but have another locality’s zip code, please contact the Department of Public Safety if you have difficulty registering online.
- If you need assistance registering or if you do not have access to the internet, you may contact the Campbell County Department of Public Safety office at 434-332-9540 or visit any Campbell County Public Library branch to provide your contact information.
According to Public Safety Director Tracy Fairchild, use of the system will be rare, but the department wants to have the most up-to-date means of alerting local residents should a large scale threat occur.
The CodeRED platform works jointly with the Campbell County GIS database, the federal IPAWS network, and the National Weather Service to send these automated emergency messages.
All contact information is kept secure and used for emergency purposes only.
If you have questions or would like additional information, please call 434-332-9540 or email email@example.com.